korea (49) music (17) oddities (11) english (9) 한국어 (5) coffee (4) language (3) opinion (3) church (2)

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why I Need Friends

No one identifies the "self" in a vacuum. There's an intrinsic necessity for outside influence in order for one to define internal existence. There's a “we” component to existence that isn't subsidiary; rather the "I" is more a corollary of an understood "we." A person can't be individuated without a larger social context in which the distinction becomes apparent. “I” as I am now and as I see myself to be, am not defined apart from the other individuals with whom I exist. I don't believe a human being can psychologically bear the weight of existence when turned in completely upon itself. That is, there's internal necessity for outside grounding; one needs a footing in time and space against which existence can be felt. One doesn't feel Self suspended in existence without contact against other beings. If the self is sensed in isolation, the perception is vague and inaccurate at best.

No comments: