korea (49) music (17) oddities (11) english (9) 한국어 (5) coffee (4) language (3) opinion (3) church (2)

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Uijeongbu

Here are some pics of my nifty new dwelling. On Friday I arrived Incheon International Airport (one of two or three international airports near Seoul) and made it through customs without a hitch. I met up with the other English teachers, and some people from Global Campus (the 3rd part placement agency) helped transport us to Uijeongbu. The Global Campus workers were pleasant, but a little frazzled. They said they had been working for 20 hours straight bringing in new teachers. It took about forty-five minutes by car to make the trip. Providentially, Lewis and my respective schools are within walking distance. Our apartments are less than a block apart.

Our co-teachers met us there. Not only do the co-teachers share teaching duties, but they are also responsible to help us with just about anything we need. My co-teacher Ji-Hyun arrived first, literally running up to the parking lot to meet us all out of breath. If the two guys from Global Campus were frazzled, our co-teachers looked ready for a nervous breakdown. Ji-Hyun was extremely worried that I wouldn't be happy with the housing arrangements, and I tried extravagantly to explain how my expectations had already been surpassed. But this type of concern seems typical of Koreans, at least in their dealings with us.

On Saturday, Lewis and I set out an The Great Korean Transit Adventure. Lewis' luggage didn't made it in on his plane, so we decided that was as good an opportunity as any to test our our navigational chops. Our kind guru at the PC-club (I don't know his name - he's the owner of the nearby internet cafe) gave us a map of the subway. Through dumb luck, some kind Koreans along the way, and mostly the grace of God we made it. The Korean equivalent of CTA is exactly 10 times nicer. It's faster, smoother, cleaner, and some trains even have heated seats. The airport was shinier than O'Hare. These people here have really got their collective acts together.

2 comments:

Wolverine#1 said...

So you already got yourself a Korean slave? how bout that. :-)

Emily Mc said...

"But this type of concern seems typical of Koreans, at least in their dealings with us."

Ah, I didn't realize you were on mission to an unreached, third-world people group! How very Margaret Mead of you!

Joel assures me your use of "providentially" is ironic. I was worried.